Lent & Holy Week 2023
Ash Wednesday took place on 22nd February this year, marking the first day of Lent, the season of penitence leading up to Easter. Two services were held at St George’s, where people gathered at the front and had their foreheads marked with ash crosses (pictured above).
During Lent, the Children’s Church is collecting breakfast food & drinks for the Salvation Army, which feeds over 80 people in need every day. Let’s help them by donating sugar, whole milk, ground coffee, black tea, ColaCao powder, sandwich fillings (meat slices, cheese slices), eggs (for scrambled eggs), small individual cereal packets, napkins, and paper coffee cups (for takeaway). Please bring your donations to church and leave them in the upstairs mezzanine level. Thank you!
Here is the programme of activities for Lent & Holy Week at St George’s:
Café Zoom Lent Reflections
Prepare a coffee or tea at home and connect with others in the St George’s community via Zoom. These Lent Reflections, held every Sunday, 5–6pm, are led by a different lay member, as follows:
- 26th February, led by Michael & Elsa Derham
- 5th March, led by Sam Wylie
- 12th March, led by Rachel Nelson
- 19th March, led by Michael Witty
- 26th March, led by Alena Navahonskaya
- 2nd April, led by Denise Kent
To join, use the Zoom link sent in the group chat, or contact Rachel Nelson or Revd John Chapman and they can share the link with you.
Wednesday Lent Reflections
A series of Lent Reflections on the theme of “God and…” held every Wednesday evening, 7–8pm, via Zoom, as follows:
- Lent Reflection 1: God & the Bible, 1st March, led by Jennie Hebson
- Lent Reflection 2: God & Business, 8th March, led by Jimmy Dress
- Lent Reflection 3: God & Creativity, 15th March, led by Deborah Chapman
- Lent Reflection 4: God & the Body, 22nd March, led by Reija Vienola (please note: this week starts at 7:15pm)
- Lent Reflection 5: God & Music, 29th March, led by Sherry Blackford
To join, contact Revd John Chapman for the link.
HOLY WEEK SERVICES
- Palm Sunday, 2nd April, 11am: Hosanna! Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord! Marching with palms to celebrate Jesus’ entry into Jerusalem.
- Maundy Thursday, 6th April, 8pm: Join us for Holy Communion and clearing of the church.
- Good Friday, 7th April, 2pm: A quiet, directed meditation for one hour to mark Jesus’ crucifixion, based on Stations of the Cross.
- Black Saturday, 8th April, 8pm at the Bonanova Catholic church: Remembering when Jesus lay in the tomb, and lighting of the candle for Easter vigil.
- Easter Sunday, 9th April, 11am: He is risen indeed, alleluia! A celebratory service followed by an Easter egg hunt for children in the church garden.
May 17, 2023
Caring for Creation
May 04, 2023
Easter Display Explained
May 03, 2023